Image Compression Books
The following books contain tutorials on SPIHT.
- Digital Signal Compression: Principles and Practice, William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Please also take note of the corrections in the errata document.
This book is a textbook on signal compression suitable for advanced undergraduates and graduate students and for practioners in the field. It contains many figures, examples, and practice problems that are often computer projects.
The 156-page problem solutions manual is available to instructors.
- Wavelet Image Compression , in Synthsis Lectures on Image, Video, and Multimedia Processing , by William A. Pearlman, Morgan & Claypool Publishers , Jan. 2013.
- Set Partition Coding: Part I of Set Partition Coding and Image Wavelet Coding Systems , by William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing, , Vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 95-180, Now Publishers, Delft, The Netherlands, 2008. Please also view corrections. Also available directly from Now Publishers online.
- Image Wavelet Coding Systems: Part II of Set Partition Coding and Image Wavelet Coding Systems , by William A. Pearlman and Amir Said, Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing, , Vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 181-246, Now Publishers, Delft, The Netherlands, 2008. Also available directly from Now Publishers online.
- Introduction to Data Compression , 2nd ed., 3rd ed., by K. Sayood, Academic Press, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2000, 2006.
- Wavelet Transforms: Introduction to Theory and Applications by
R. M. Rao and A. S. Bopardikar, Addison Wesley Longman, 1998.
- Video Coding: an introduction to standard codecs by M. Ghanbari,The Institution of Electrical Engineers (UK), 1999.
- JPEG2000: Image Compression, Fundamentals, Standards, and Practice by D. S. Taubman and M. W. Marcellin, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Data Compression: The Complete Reference by D. Salomon, Springer Verlag, 2000, 2004.
- A Guide to Data Compression Methods (Paperback) by D. Salomon, Springer Verlag, 2002.
- Wavelet Image Compression by Z. Xiong and K. Ramchandran, Chap. 5.4 in Handbook of Image and Video Processing , A. Bovik, Ed., Elsevier, Inc. 2005.
- Image and Video Compression for Multimedia Engineering by Y. Q. Shi and H. Sun, CRC Press, 2008.
- Wavelet Image and Video Compression , P. N. Topiwala, Editor, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.
Image Compression Papers
By now there are more than 6000 publications (Google Scholar, 10/25/2013) citing the original journal article on SPIHT (see first paper below). For worked examples of SPIHT coding and some of our subsequent work on SPIHT compression, please go to the Homepage of W. Pearlman
The files below, with generic names,
*.ps.gz, contain papers in
PostScript® format, which have been compressed with gzip, and
must be decompressed with gunzip or WinZip.
- Pre-print of the SPIHT image
compression paper: "A New Fast and Efficient Image Codec Based
on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees," by Amir Said and
William A. Pearlman, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems
for Video Technology, vol. 6, pp. 243-250, June 1996.
IEEE Circuits and Systems Society 1998 Video Technology Transactions Best Paper
- Pre-print of the S+P transform
paper: "An Image Multiresolution
Representation for Lossless and Lossy Image Compression," by
Amir Said and William A. Pearlman, first submitted July 1994, and
published in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing,
vol. 5, pp. 1303-1310, Sept. 1996.
IEEE Signal Processing Society 1998 Best Paper Award (Image and
Multidimensional Signal Processing Area).
- Compressed Postscript of a paper about compression of medical
images, with a comparative evaluation of SPIHT and other methods.
"Wavelet compression of medical images with set partitioning
in hierarchical trees," by Armando Manduca and Amir Said,
presented at the SPIE Symposium on Medical Imaging, Cambridge, MA,
- Compressed Postscript of the S+P transform conference paper:
"Reversible Image compression via multiresolution representation
and predictive coding," by Amir Said and William A. Pearlman,
presented at the SPIE VCIP Symposium, Cambridge, MA, Nov. 1993.
The last images were removed to reduce the file size.
Anonymous FTP site is currently offline.
Links to other pages.
SPIHT Home Page;
Properties of the Method
WWW Image Compression Resources